Welcome to American Legion Post 111 of Conway
This website is dedicated to serving the members of American Legion Post 111 and is a place where members and prospective members, as well as members of the community, may obtain up-to-date information about our Post's Activities.
We serve the Conway SC area in Horry County. Check out our schedule of activities here. Our membership meetings are held the 2nd Monday of each month; Dinner starts at 6:00 p.m. and the meeting follows at 7 p.m. We are located at 3003 Hwy 701 North, Conway, SC 29526 and our phone number is (843) 365-5669 - click here for a map to our Post.
Are you ready for some Bingo?
Bingo is held on Tuesdays at 6:00 p.m. and Sundays at 2:00 p.m.
Our Bingo sessions are open to the public and we are a non-smoking environment.
Non-members please sign in.
Come learn more about us
WW II Bomber Jacket
A size "Large" leather bomber jacket with a WW II patch has been donated to the Post for a WW II Veteran. Please contact the Post @ 843-365-5669 or send the Adjutant an email if you know someone who might be interested in this jacket, and is a WW II Veteran, and a member of American Legion Post 111. This beautiful leather jacket is in excellent condition and is free.
A Poem for our Veterans
The following Poem was written in November 2017 by two 5th grade students, Tyler Hemmert and Cole Gervais, for a Veterans day program in their school in Ohio
Bravery runs through your soul and hearts,
You’re mighty powerful, like you have robot parts
You have great courage and strength inside of you,
You proudly represent the Red White and Blue
Sacrifices are hard like a wave at full force,
But you faced it with hard guts of course
You’re like a shield protecting us from harm,
When dangers near you spring up like an alarm
Honor fills you up from head to toe,
You make our flag shine and glow
The greatest gift is being free,
Thank you very much for that liberty……
A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself
And to our great men and women in uniform, past, present, and future, God bless you and…..
Tyler Hemmert and Cole Gervais
5th Grade Students from Ohio, November 2017
Published here with permission from both students and parents
American Legion Baseball
Click here for a list of our 2017 Baseball Sponsors
Make a tax deductible donation
Click the button here to make an online tax-deductible donation to one of our programs. Donations
Legion Cap Etiquette
Click here to learn about the American Legion Cap Etiquette
Remember the Pledge of Allegiance?
Air Show Anyone?
The U.S. Navy's demonstration team (Blue Angels) will conduct an Air Show over Myrtle Beach this spring at the Myrtle Beach Air Port.
The "Wings Over Myrtle Beach Air Show" is set for April 28th and 29th and will include the team of F/A-18 Fighters as well as "Fat Albert", a C-130 Transport. The show will also include a host of other aerobatic and warbird performers.
VA Claims Assistance
Nick Cosentino, Post 111's Service Officer is at the Post on the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 8 am to 10 am to assist Veterans and Members with their VA claims. Show More... He will also come in on other Tuesday's as required if you make an appointment with him. Veterans desiring assistance should be early and must sign in so that you may be served. As Nick's time is limited, you should plan to bring as much information as possible to support your claim so that Nick will be able to assist you in a timely manner. Coffee will be available. Call the office at (843)-359-5669 to make an appointment with him....Show Less
American Legion Riders
ALRSC-111 has the following rides and events scheduled. Click on the tabs below to see what's scheduled.
Our next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, February 7th at the Post.
See you at the Post
The next regular membership meeting of the Post is Monday, February 12th in the Legion Hall. Check the Post's Meetings page for the menu and guest speaker.
See you there.
Check out our Calendar of upcoming events here.
Click here for the Riders web page.
Our Canteen is now Open
The Post Canteen is now open for Members and Guests. Members of ANY American Legion Post are welcome but you MUST show a valid American Legion ID Card. Beer and wine sales are permitted during normal Canteen hours.
Canteen hours of operation are as follows:
— Thursday's from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
— Friday's from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.
— Saturday's from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.
— Special times as permitted by the Executive Committee
The Canteen will also be open during Bingo times but no alcoholic beverages will be served.
Help support our Post
Click here for a list of our Program Sponsors
Help support our Programs
You may pause and restart the show using the buttons on the screen.
Map to our Post
Click here to see the map to our Post Home
See you at the Post
The Next USS Enterprise CVN - 80
The next USS Enterprise will be the ninth US vessel to bear the name Enterprise and the construction is due to begin in 2018 with a view to joining the lead ship USS Gerald Ford and her sister-ship USS John F. Kennedy.
Our Youth Programs
The American Legion Post 111 is a sponsor for the Dare Oratorical Contest. This is a public speaking contest for students in the 9th through 12th grades. It presents participants with an academic speaking challenge that teaches important leadership qualities, the history of our nation's laws, the ability to think and speak clearly, and an understanding of the duties, responsibilities, rights and privileges of American citizenship.
The contest starts locally and, through a series of contests, works up to the National level. Winners of the higher levels can win significant scholarships that can be used for participation in any college of their choice.
Post 111 will be offering a $500 scholarship for the winner of our local competition in January, 2019.
The photo above shows teens from all over the United States gathering in Indianapolis for the National Oratorical Contest.
As stated previously, the contest starts at the local level and works up to the National level. Winners of the higher levels can win significant scholarships that can be used for participation in any college of their choice. In fact, the winner at the National level will receive over $25,000 in scholarships. The winner at the State level will receive about $5,000 in scholarships.
Be sure to check out the 2016 winner at the National level and watch the video. It will give you pointers on how best to prepare and present your speech. Preparation and presentation encompasses many facets so be sure to consult with your high school coaches and others who are helping you to prepare.
Post 111 sent 7 boys to Palmetto Boys State in 2017
Thanks to the support from our community, Post 111 sent 7 young men to Boys State in 2017. The list of attendees and community sponsors for our 2017 program is posted here.
Our goal this year (2017) was to send seven (7) young men to Palmetto Boys State and once again we reached our goal. This goal was not as robust as in the past several years but we are hopeful that we can send fifteen (15) next year (2018). (See our list of this year's attendees here). As stated previously, it costs $300.00 to send one boy to Boys State. We weren't able to do this all by ourselves and we say a special thank you to those businesses who helped us reach our goal. Click on this link to view our 2017 Palmetto Boys State Sponsors. To sponsor a youth, simply send an e-mail to our Boys State Director by clicking here and then send a check for whatever amount you can to the address below. As we are a 501 c(19) non-profit organization, all donations are tax deductible and will be used to sponsor a young man for our 2017 Palmetto Boys State program:
American Legion Post 111
Attn: Boys State Director
3003 Highway 701 North
Conway, SC 29526
Thank you for helping us reach our Palmetto Boys State goal
Click on the team picture above to display additional pictures of the team during one of their playoff games.
Both our Junior and Senior league teams are doing well this year. As of this time, the Junior team is in first place in the league and the Senior team is in 2nd place in their league.
(Our 2016 Senior Team is depicted here).
Our Banquet this summer (for our 2017 season) was held June 17, 2017 at the Waccamaw Shrine Club. Our 2018 banquet will be held June 16, 2018. Plan now to attend and have a chance to win the grand prize of $5,000. Thank you for your support of Post 111's American Legion Baseball.
See our Legion Baseball page for additional information on this valuable youth program that is sponsored by Post 111.
Unfortunately we didn't have youth interested in this program this past year. However, as it's now 2018, we hope that we might have some youth interested in this exciting program this year. The total cost for each Cadet is $200.00. See our Law Cadet Academy page for information about this great event.
Last Updated: Mon, January 22, 2018
Like us on face book
(Adobe Reader is needed to support the various PDF files that you will find on our website. Click the link above if you don't already have it installed on your computer. Be sure to un-check the options in the center of the Adobe download page if you don't want to change your browser or install other programs other than the Adobe reader)
Important Upcoming Events
Bingo Anyone? Our Bingo sessions are held Sunday afternoons at 2 p.m. and Tuesday evenings at 6 p.m. The doors open one hour prior to our bingo sessions and are open to the public. We are a "smoke free" environment. Come one come all and let's have some fun.
Our Next Meeting: Our next meeting will be held at 6 p.m. on our regular meeting night, Monday, February 12th, at the Post. The agenda will be announced soon.
Post 111 Canteen is open: The Post Canteen is open for Members and Guests only. Only spirits purchased at the Post may be consumed on our grounds and no beverages may be removed from the Post property. Special events which will be open to the public will be posted here when available.
Thursday nights Menu: Along with Pizzas, you may order a bowl of chili ($2.00 per bowl), Grilled Cheese sandwiches ($1.00) and Grilled Ham and Cheese sandwiches ($1.50). Come on out and support the Post and get a good meal at a great price.
Pancake Breakfast Saturday, February 17th: Cost is $6.00 for a plate of pancakes, eggs, and sausage or bacon. A biscuit and sausage gravy plate with eggs is also only $6.00. Coffee is included with both selections. Come one come all and enjoy this great breakfast.
Spaghetti Dinner: The Post will be hosting a spaghetti dinner Friday, January 29, 2018. This event will be open to the community of Conway. Cost is $8.00 per plate. Come and enjoy a good meal at a great price.
Legion Cap Etiquette
- The left side (emblem side) of the cap is reserved only for the Legion emblem, city, county, district, or state lettering.
- If desired, the following items must be placed on the right side of the cap:
additional lettering, restricted to either the name of a Post, or to an officer title (such as “Past Commander”),
cap insignias or badges (for Past or Present officers),
consecutive membership insignia, membership stars, and/or authorized Legion or military services decorations.
- Names or nicknames of individual members cannot be used on caps.
- The Legion Uniform Cap should be worn by its members only when in attendance at official Legion meetings or ceremonies, or as official guests at patriotic or other civil functions, or by individuals when officially representing The American Legion on public occasions.
- A member is considered to be in uniform if wearing an official Legion Uniform Cap. Therefore, it is not proper to wear the cap while eating a meal at an official Legion or civic luncheon or dinner.
- The cap should be worn in a place of worship only by the Guard of Honor, Color Guard and Commander of same while in marching order or standing guard. When returned to and seated in pews, the cap should be removed.
- Legion posts marching in formation into a place of worship should uncover, at the door, hold the cap with the right hand over the heart until the arrival in the pews and commanded to take seats, remaining uncovered during the entire service. At the close of the service, upon command, the post shall arise, the members holding the cap with the right hand over the heart will march out of the place of worship, and recover after marching through the door.
- Legion members not in formation will uncover upon entering the place of worship and remain uncovered during the entire service, and will recover after leaving the place of worship.
- When at a funeral, the cap should be held over the heart as one approaches the casket, and is not at any time worn in a place of worship (except by the Guard of Honor, Color Guard or Commander of same while in marching order or standing guard). At the grave side, the cap should be held in the right hand over the heart during the entire service. In cold and inclement weather, the cap should not be worn.
- In Legion meetings, the cap should be worn except during moments of the Pledge of Allegiance, prayer, and when standing in silent reverence in memory of departed comrades, when the cap should be held with the right hand over the heart.
- Female members of the Legion should wear their caps in the manner prescribed for female personnel of the armed services.
Extracted from the 2012 Emblem sales catalogue
Post Canteen Rules
- Beer and wine sales are permitted only during normal Canteen hours.
- No alcoholic beverages may be brought in from the street - only beverages purchased from the canteen may be consumed on Post 111 property.
- Alcoholic beverages purchased at the Post Canteen must be consumed on Post 111 property and may not be carried off the property in either a closed or open condition.
- Post Canteen staff may refuse service to any person for reasonable reasons - canteen staff has the final say.
Canteen hours of operation
- Thursday's from 4 PM to 10 PM
- Friday's from 5 PM to 11 PM
- Saturday's from 4 PM to 11 PM
- Closed Sunday's - the Canteen will normally be closed on Sunday's. if the Canteen is open on a Sunday for a special function, NO alcoholic beverages may be sold - Our license does not permit Sunday sales of alcoholic beverages.
- Special times as approved by the Executive Committee.
The Canteen will also be open during Bingo times but no alcoholic beverages will be served.
Thank you for understanding our rules