The Preamble of the American Legion Constitution has 10 clauses and reads as follows:
“For God and Country, we associate ourselves together for the following purposes:
- To uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America;
- to maintain law and order;
- to foster and perpetuate a 100-percent Americanism;
- to preserve the memories and incidents of our associations in the great wars;
- to inculcate a sense of individual obligation to the community, state and nation;
- to combat the autocracy of both the classes and the masses;
- to make right the master of might;
- to promote peace and good will on earth;
- to safeguard and transmit to posterity the principles of justice, freedom and democracy;
- to consecrate and sanctify our comradeship by our devotion to mutual helpfulness.”
Each of the 10 clauses of the Preamble, though brief, has a world of meaning.
For God and Country, we associate ourselves together… This is the introduction. It declares that The American Legion recognizes the influence of Almighty God in all worthwhile endeavors and declares the allegiance of Legionnaires to both God and Nation. First things have been put first. All that follows is in conformity.
Return to Home Page